Saturday, December 20, 2008

What are your greatest weaknesses?

Disguise strength as a weakness.
Example: “I sometimes push my people too hard. I like to work with a sense of urgency and
everyone is not always on the same wavelength.”
Drawback: This strategy is better than admitting a flaw, but it's so widely used, it is transparent
to any experienced interviewer.
BEST ANSWER: (and another reason it's so important to get a thorough description of your
interviewer's needs before you answer questions): Assure the interviewer that you can think of
nothing that would stand in the way of your performing in this position with excellence. Then,
quickly review you strongest qualifications.
Example: “Nobody's perfect, but based on what you've told me about this position, I believe I' d
make an outstanding match. I know that when I hire people, I look for two things most of all. Do
they have the qualifications to do the job well, and the motivation to do it well? Everything in
my background shows I have both the qualifications and a strong desire to achieve excellence in
whatever I take on. So I can say in all honesty that I see nothing that would cause you even a
small concern about my ability or my strong desire to perform this job with excellence.”
Alternate strategy (if you don't yet know enough about the position to talk about such a perfect
fit):
Instead of confessing a weakness, describe what you like most and like least, making sure that
what you like most matches up with the most important qualification for success in the position,
and what you like least is not essential.
Example: Let's say you're applying for a teaching position. “If given a choice, I like to spend as
much time as possible in front of my prospects selling, as opposed to shuffling paperwork back
at the office. Of course, I long ago learned the importance of filing paperwork properly, and I do
it conscientiously. But what I really love to do is sell (if your interviewer were a sales manager,
this should be music to his ears.)
Tell me about something you did – or failed to do – that you now feel a little ashamed of ?As
with faults and weaknesses, never confess a regret. But don’t seem as if you’re stonewalling
either.
Best strategy: Say you harbor no regrets, then add a principle or habit you practice regularly for
healthy human relations.
Example: Pause for reflection, as if the question never occurred to you. Then say to hr, “You
know, I really can’t think of anything.” (Pause again, then add): “I would add that as a general
management principle, I’ve found that the best way to avoid regrets is to avoid causing them in
the first place. I practice one habit that helps me a great deal in this regard. At the end of each
day, I mentally review the day’s events and conversations to take a second look at the people
and developments I’m involved with and do a double check of what they’re likely to be feeling.
Sometimes I’ll see things that do need more follow-up, whether a pat on the back, or maybe a
five minute chat in someone’s office to make sure we’re clear on things…whatever.”
“I also like to make each person feel like a member of an elite team, like the Boston Celtics or LA
Lakers in their prime. I’ve found that if you let each team member know you expect excellence
in their performance…if you work hard to set an example yourself…and if you let people know
you appreciate and respect their feelings, you wind up with a highly motivated group, a team
that’s having fun at work because they’re striving for excellence rather than brooding over
slights or regrets.”


Visit http://TechPreparation.com for more Interview Questions with Answers

No comments: